Under M.G.L. Chapter 51, Section 4, a yearly census/street list is mandated. Between the months of December and January the Clerk’s Office conducts the census. Forms are mailed out in January. When received, please review the information and make any changes per the instructions. Sign and return the form within 10 days to the Clerk’s Office even if there are no changes.
Completed forms may be returned by mail in the enclosed addressed envelope, delivered to the Town Clerk’s Office in person, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the Newbury Town Library.
UNSIGNED FORMS CANNOT BE ACCEPTED
Please note that no changes to voter registration may be made on this form and a person cannot register to vote on the census form. Please contact the Town Clerk’s Office for information regarding voter registration or any change to voter status.
Blank Census form here
To register to vote on-line click here
Some of the data collected through the census is published by statute as a “Street List”. The publication contains a Precinct/Street breakdown and an alphabetical-by-name index of residents seventeen and older as of January 1st, annually.
Responding to the annual census is important for many reasons:
- To maintain a person’s “active” voter status;
- To maintain accurate population information;
- To allocate State and Federal funds to the town;
- To provide proof of residency for personal and/or legal requirements;
- Residents Permits and Licenses;
- Benefits for elderly, disabled and veterans;
- Proof of residency for in-state college admission;
- Proof of residency for local school enrollment