SHINE - Serving the Health Insurance Needs of Everyone
The SHINE Program is administered by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs in partnership with elder service agencies, councils on aging or public and private community-based organizations. Certified SHINE counselors help people navigate the complex Medicare insurance system.
SHINE counselors are trained and certified volunteers in the various health insurance options available to Medicare beneficiaries of all ages living in Massachusetts including:
- Medicare Part A and Part B.
- Medicare Advantage Plans.
- Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D plans or PDP).
- Medicare Supplement (medigap) Plans.
- Prescription Advantage (the state prescription drug assistance program).
- MassHealth Medicare Saving Programs.
- Other programs and resources that help pay for health care costs.
SHINE counselors can:
- Find their way through the complex Medicare health insurance system.
- Explain Medicare options and how Medicare works.
- Help compare costs and benefits.
- Explain the enrollment process for Medicare related plans.
- Help people apply for Extra Help with their Medicare prescription drug costs.
- Help people apply for Medicare Savings Programs that help pay Medicare premiums.
This program is no cost to Massachusetts residents with Medicare, or who are about to enroll in Medicare, or their families.
For more Information or to connect with our SHINE Counselor, contact the Newbury Council on Aging at 978-462-8114.