Skip Navigation

Links for Residents
Links for Businesses
Links for Visitors
Link for Online Payments

This table is used for column layout.
Seal of the Town of Newbury, MA

Click Here to Register
Animal Control Officer
Contact TypeContact Information
Animal Control Officer/Pound Keeper
Assistant Animal Control Officer
Newbury Police Department
25 High Road
Newbury, MA 01951
(978) 462-4440
(978) 465-3064
24 hours a day/7 Days a Week
Additional Links:
Link to PageLink to PageLink to Page
Animal Control Officers (ACO) enforce local and state laws concerning animals, provide for stray, sick and injured animals in the City's custody, and to protect the public from free roaming dogs and sick wildlife.

How do I contact the Animal Control Officer?  The Animal Control Officer may be reached 24 X 7 by calling the Police Department at 978-462-4440.  The Newbury Animal Control Officer also fulfills the duties of the Animal Inspector and Pound Keeper.

What is the licensing period and the fee for a dog license? (Newbury Bylaw Section 56, Animals):

The licensing period shall run from January 1st to December 1st each calendar year.
Neutered/Spayed or Un-neutered/Un-spayed dog license: $10.00

*All dogs four (4) months old or older must be licensed and tagged. Licensing will be done in the Police Deparment or the Town Clerk's office.  

Restriction on dogs on Public Beach (Newbury Bylaw, Chapter 109):  No person being the owner or keeper of a dog shall allow said dog to be oon any part of the public beach from May 15 to October 15, inclusive. Violaters shall be subject to a fine of $25.00 for the first offense, $35.00 for the second offense and $50.00 for the third and subsequent offenses within one season.  Fines to be paid before the dog is release.

Improper disposal of animal waste (Newbury Bylaw Chapter 109, Animals):

  • 1st offense: $15.00
  • 2nd offense: $25.00
  • 3rd and subsequent offense: $50.00
Animal Safety Classes: The Newbury ACO offers Domestic and Wild Animal Safety Classes to schools and other non-profit organizations.  If you are interested, please email

Wildlife and Rabies: The Animal Control Officer does not have the authority to assist landowners with nuisance wildlife, a special person licensed by the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife must be hired. The Animal Control Officer will respond to a wildlife call when it poses a threat to the public or has had direct human contact. It is recommended that residents avoid contact with wildlife animals and report animals that appear sick to the Police Department at (978) 462-4440. For further information concerning rabies, contact the Animal Control Officer, the Board of Health or your veterinarian. It can not be stressed enough to have your pet's vaccination up to date! Doing so could save it's life and prevent the need for human family members to undergo expensive, painful rabies treatments.

Town Hall:
25 High Road, Newbury, MA 01951
Mon, Wed and Thurs:
8am - 4pm;
8am - 7pm
Virtual Towns & Schools Website